SF Rails: Reduce Complexity and Simplify Code

SF Rails: Reduce Complexity and Simplify Code

Last night we swung by the snazzy DevBootCamp offices. Our goal? To learn from the fine folks joining us at the SF Rails meetup.

The topics included DCI, a comparison of static site generators to traditional CMS, and how workers are better fit than functional programming for reactive infrastructure.

Heady stuff! Keep reading for a preview of each topic, and a link to each speaker’s slides. Continue reading “SF Rails: Reduce Complexity and Simplify Code”

The Next Frontier: Learning Microservices in the Classroom

working

As a Customer Success engineer here at Iron.io, I’ve been fortunate enough to see people using Iron.io in ways I never thought about. It’s actually one of my favorite parts of my job.

Recently, I was chatting with a customer who mentioned his students were using Iron.io in their final project. This peeked my interest, so I interviewed Soumya Ray, an associate professor at National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan, about his experience. Professor Ray’s  Service Oriented Architecture class is an 18 week course that takes students from idea creation to final product. And, as a cherry on top, the class has students create the building blocks of their own startup with zero dollars spent. Continue reading “The Next Frontier: Learning Microservices in the Classroom”

#EastBayGo: Pareto Efficiencies and AOP with GoWeave

east-bay-go

Special thanks to James Daisa for the base image! CC BY 2.0

The other night we headed over to the TurnItIn offices to get nerdy about Go. They hosted the first speaker-led event for the EastBayGo group. Full disclosure: I was one of the speakers!

Continue reading “#EastBayGo: Pareto Efficiencies and AOP with GoWeave”

#SFRails: Scaling ElasticSearch + Advanced Ruby Tricks

sfrails-october 2015

Last night a near 100 folks showed up at Hotel Tonight’s swank downtown offices to get nerdy about Rails.

There’s still a lot of excitement, innovation, and love happening in the Ruby world. After a bit of pre-show socialization with our fellow devs, the crowd settled in to hear the talks of the evening.

Continue reading “#SFRails: Scaling ElasticSearch + Advanced Ruby Tricks”

#GoSF: Identity, Safe Secrets, and IoT Friendly Languages

GoSF at Betable

The Go gopher was designed by Renee French. CC BY 3.0 US

Last night’s meetup, which was hosted by Betable, included two presentations and two lightning talks rounding out a solid evening for the GoSF group. Topics included identity on the web, safe storage of tokens (beyond ENV vars), and even the debut of a new Go-inspired embedded systems language.

Let’s take a look at each!

Continue reading “#GoSF: Identity, Safe Secrets, and IoT Friendly Languages”

Why Iron.io Joined the Cloud Foundry Foundation

As of today, Iron.io formally joined the Cloud Foundry Foundation, the community behind the rapidly growing open source Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). With this exciting news, I wanted to take a quick moment to reflect on what brought us here, and where we see ourselves moving towards.

Continue reading “Why Iron.io Joined the Cloud Foundry Foundation”

Notes from Gotham Go

Notes from Gotham Go
Thanks to Anthony Quintano for the base image! CC BY 2.0

Last week, I had the pleasure of joining gophers at Gotham Go. It was a incredibly dense single day of information. What follows is a quick impression of each talk, along with links to more detailed material. Special thanks to Peggy Li for tossing her notes on github!

UPDATE: VODs are appearing online now. You can view these talks on Youtube.

Continue reading “Notes from Gotham Go”

GopherFest 2015

On Tuesday evening at the GopherFest 2015 meetup, I had the privilege of speaking alongside Andrew Gerrand, Rob Pike (the creator of Go!) and Steve Francia. If you missed the talks, check out the full recording above. The slides for my talk are on SlideShare. Also, Hakka Labs will be releasing an edited recording of the meetup, which I’ll post here when it’s ready.

First, I want to thank everyone who watched the talks. The Go community is amazing. The in-person turnout of over 300 was incredible, and more than 1,800 people around the world watched the live stream!

My talk was about concurrency in Go. I’d like to expand on what I talked about here.

Concurrency is one of Go’s most significant assets. It’s true that many languages have concurrency primitives, and many even have concurrency frameworks built on top of their primitives to make things more convenient. In fact, writing concurrent code without using a framework is practically impossible in some languages.

Continue reading “GopherFest 2015”

Chance to win $500 with your story in the AirPair $100K developer writing competition

Iron.io is a proud sponsor of the AirPair $100K developer writing competition. As part of our community engagement, we invite you to submit a post for a chance to win a $500 prize for best Iron.io article. Posts can take the form of your narrated experience using Iron.io in production – including problems solved, lessons learned and wisdom gained.

To kickstart ideas on topics we’d love to read about, here are key areas of interest:

• Tell us about your experiences applying event-driven asynchronous processing or moving from a monolithic app environment to a microservices architecture.
  • What are the “Top 5” reasons you choose IronMQ/IronWorker to accelerate your distributed computing deployment.

To enter a post or for more details about the competition, go to: https://www.airpair.com/100k-writing-competition

Good luck. We look forward to reading your submission.

Iron.io team

An Outside View on Microservices : Agility and Scale

Alex Bakker, a research director at Saugatuck Technology,  just put out a pretty good post on microservices entitled Agility, Microservices, and Digital Business. It provides a good overview on the topic of Microservices and is especially strong on what microservices mean to larger organizations and the enterprise.
It’s the first of several posts which are part of a larger research report – Evaluating Microservices Part 1: A Path to the Cloud (link).

Continue reading “An Outside View on Microservices : Agility and Scale”